Nearly all American students in colleges and universities pay for their education. There are many expenses. First of all, there is tuition (学费). At some schools, the tuition is very high, ten thousand dollars a year or more. At other schools, it may only be a few hundred dollars a year. At some community (社区) colleges, tuition is free. There are other expenses as well. Many students leave their homes to go to schools in other cities. They may live in dormitories or apartments ( flats), and they must pay for it. Finally, students must buy textbooks for their courses. Some families start saving money for their children’s education when the children are small. Many students work to save money for tuition. They can also get loans (贷款) from the government. They pay the money back to the government when they finish their education.
1. Which students pay for their education?
________ in colleges and universities pay for their education.
2. How much is the higher tuition?
It is _______________ or more.
3. Are there any free tuition colleges?
4.Why do many students live in dormitories or apartments?
5. What must students buy finally?
They must _______________.
6. When do many students pay back their loans from the government?
They pay them back_______________.
Some people want to be shot into space after their death, others want to lie deep under the sea. But most people want to go into the freezer(冷藏库).These are believers in cryogenics(低温冷冻学).
Now some diseases can’t be cured, but they may be cured sometime in the future. So some people hope that their bodies can be frozen after they die. When a cure is found, warm up his or her body, bring it back to life and take the cure. Once the body is frozen, it is kept in liquid nitrogen(液态氮) at a temperature of 328 degrees below zero.
Now around a thousand people are going to take cryogenic treatment(处理), though most scientists say it won’t work. If we freeze huge creatures(生物) like humans, every one of their cells(细胞) will be broken. Can they be brought back to life in the future?
7. Where do most people hope that their bodies are kept after their death?
8. Why do they want the world to keep their bodies well?
9. How do scientists usually keep a dead man’s body?
10. How many people are going to take cryogenic treatment after they die?
A rich man was once riding along the road and saw an old man digging in his garden. On the ground lay a young tree, ready to be planted. The rich man called out to the old man, “What kind of tree are you planting there, my good man?”
“This is a fig(无花果) tree, sir. ” He said.
“A fig tree?” the rich man was very surprised, “Why, how old are you, may I ask?”
“I am ninety years old.”
“What!” cried the rich man, “You’re ninety years old. You are planting a very young tree now and it’ll take years to give fruit. You certainly don’t hope to live long enough to get any fruit from this tree. ” The old man looked around the garden. Then he said with a smile, “Tell me, sir. Did you eat figs when you were a boy? ”“Sure,” the man did not know why he asked this question. “Then tell me this,” he said, “Who planted the fig trees?” “Why-why? I don’t know.” “You see, sir.” went on the old man,“Our forefathers(祖先) planted trees for us to enjoy and I am doing the same for the people after me.”
The rich man was quiet and said, “You are right，my good man. We should do some things for the people after us. Thank you very much.” Then he rode away.
11.What tree was the old man planting when the rich man saw him?
12. How old was the old man?
13. The old man was planting the tree to get himself some fruit to eat，wasn’t he? Who was he planting the tree for?
14. Did the rich man eat figs when he was a boy?
15. What should we do for the people after us?
In general，laws for children are a good thing.
One hundred years ago in industrial countries, children worked 18 hours a day in a factory at age seven. The factory owner could beat a child who fell asleep or was not fast enough. Both parents and teachers could do the same.
Today, there are many laws about children all over the world. Some people think children must obey rules or they should be punished，others do not agree. The Inuits or Eskimos in Alaska almost never punish their children. The parents don’t hit them. If the children go too far，the parents punish them by making fun of them.
Children in other parts of the world are not as lucky as Eskimo children. American parents can spank(打……臀部) their children at home，but a teacher cannot hit a child in a public school. This is also true in Germany. In contrast(对比), it is against the law for anyone to hit a child in Sweden. Swedish parents cannot spank their children. The children also have a special government official who works for their rights. There is even a plan for children to divorce from their parents though this is not a law yet！
16. How were children treated in industrial countries 100years ago?
17. What does the author mean by “go too far?”
18. Can a teacher in Germany hit his students in public school?
19. What kind of people can beat children in Sweden?
20. What does it mean by “a plan for children to divorce from their parents?”
Sydney is a young city. Its history goes back just over 200 years. But in Australia, it is the oldest city. It is also the country’s largest city. Sydney is the capital of New South Wales and the most populous(人口稠密的) city of Australia.
The climate(气候) of Sydney is very good. It’s not too cold during the winter and not too hot during the summer. The sky is blue，the air is fresh(清新的), birds sing in the garden. People who live in Sydney seem to have an easy life style. They will tell you, “Don’t worry. ”
Many people think that Sydney is one of the most attractive cities in the world. It has many tall and modern buildings. Among them, Centrepoint Tower is the tallest. Standing on the 305--metre(80 storeys) tower, you will have a great view(视野) of the city.
Sydney is famous for its deep harbor(港口) .The harbor has many bays(湾) and beautiful surf beaches. Among them, Bondi beach is the most popular. Sydney Harbor is not only beautiful, it also serves as a large port. Ships carry wool, wheat and meat from Sydney to other countries.
People living in Sydney like to call themselves Sydneysiders. They are mostly friendly and easygoing. When they are not working, they love to have a good time at the beach, swimming and sailing.
21. How old is Sydney?
22. How is the climate of Sydney?
23. How tall is Centrepoint Tower?
24. What is Sydney famous for?
25. What do people living in Sydney love to do when they are not working?
John Smith was an old porter. He worked at the station. Every day he was busy carrying heavy things for the people. He was careful with his work. He was kind to everyone. He was always ready to help others.
One morning he stood in the station. He was waiting for the train. Just then he saw a man running towards the trains with a big bag in his hand.
“No train is starting. Why is he in such a hurry?” the old man thought to himself.
He went up to the man and asked, “May I help you?”
As soon as the man saw the porter, he stopped running.
“Can I catch the 10:35 train to London?” the man asked. He looked worried.
The old porter looked at him for a few seconds and said, “Well, sir. I’d like to help you, but I can’t answer your question because I don’t know how fast you can run.” Then he explained to the man, “The 10:35 train to London left five minutes ago. Can you run fast enough to catch it?”
26. What was John’s job?
27. Where do you think the man was going?
28. Why did the man run towards the trains and look worried?
29. What time was it when the man got to the station?
30. What do you think of John Smith?
John Brown, an office worker, lives in Washington, He inherited(继承) $ 1,000, 000 when he was 23. He didn’t feel happy at all. His college friends were looking for their first jobs, but he didn’t have to. John decided to keep living a simple life like everyone else. He didn’t tell any of his friends and gave $ 100, 000 of his money to a charity(慈善团体) that helped poor children to live better lives, but he is much happier.
Up to now,John has helped 15 children from poor countries all over the world, $ 200 a month for each. The child does not receive the money in cash(现金). The money pays for the child’s school expenses, food, medical care and clothing. John receives a report each year on the child’s progress. They can write to each other, but usually the children do not speak English.
When John first heard about these children, he wanted to help them. “It was not anything special,” he said, “Until I had the chance to go to these countries and meet the children I was helping, I did not know anything about the type of life they had.”
Once John went to meet a little girl in Africa. He said that the meeting was very exciting. “When I met her, I felt very very happy,” he said, “I saw that the money was used for a very good plan. It brought me closer to the child in a way that giving money alone cannot” “ I want to do everything I can. I will go on helping those children in need, “he added.
31. What kind of life is John living?
He is living a _______________________..
32. Did John want to look for a job or stay at home after he got the money?
33. Does John only help the poor children in Africa?
34. The child receives the money in cash, doesn’t he?
35. Why did John say that the meeting with the little girl was very exciting?
Because he saw his money was well used and this made him_ _.
36.. How do you like John Brown?
It’s hard to make friends if you stay at home alone all the time. Get out of the house and do things that will put you in touch with(接触) other people. It’s easier to make friends when you have similar interests.
Don’t be afraid to show people what you’re really good at. Talk about the things you like and do best. People will be interested in you if there is something interesting about you.
Look at people in the eye when you talk to them. That way, they’ll find it easier to talk to you, or people may think you’re not interested in them and may stop being interested in you.
Be a good listener. Let people talk about themselves before talking about “me, me, me”. Ask lots of questions. Show an interest in their answers.
Try to make friends with the kind of people you really like, respect (尊敬), and admire (羡慕)—not just with those who are easy to meet. Be friendly with a lot of people. That way, you’ll have a bigger group of people to choose from and have more chances for making friends.
37. How can we have more friends, get in touch with other people or stay at home?
38. When Jim talks to people, he always looks right, left, or at the floor. Do you think it’s right? Why or why not?
39. Cindy always talks about herself when she talks to other people. What advice (it’80 do you think she needs to follow?
40. What should you do if you want to have more chances for making friends?
41. What’s the main idea of the passage?
Thanksgiving Day is a very special day for people in the United States. They celebrate it on the last Thursday in November. Canadians also celebrate Thanksgiving Day, but they do it on the second Monday of October. In Britain, where this festival is called Harvest Festival, people celebrate it earlier in the year, in September.
A harvest is the fruit you take from the trees and the crops you take from the ground. In North America and Britain, harvest time for most fruit and crops is in the autumn. In these countries and other Christian places, people give thanks to God on a special day of the year. They thank God for the good things that have happened during the year and for the good harvest they have had. People usually take small boxes of fruit, flowers, and vegetables to their churches to show their thanks.
The first thanksgiving service (仪式) in North America took place on December 4th, 1619 when 38 English people, arrived in America to make their home in the new country. They held this service not to thank God for the harvest, but to thank God for their safe journeys. The next year, many more English people arrived. They had a bad winter, but fortunately the harvest was good. they decided to celebrate it with a big meal. They shot and killed small animals to eat and cooked everything outside on large fires. About 90 Indians also came to the meal. Everyone ate at tables outside their houses and played games together. The festival lasted three days.
A Thanksgiving Day celebration was held every year for a long time, but not always on the same day of the year. Then, in 1789, President George Washington named November 26th as the Day of Thanksgiving. In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln changed the date, and said that the last Thursday in November should be Thanksgiving Day.
Nowadays, North Americans around the world get together with their families on this day to eat good food and have a happy time.
42.Is Thanksgiving Day celebrated on the same day in North American countries?
43.When did the first thanksgiving service take place in North America?
44.Who made the last Thursday in November Thanksgiving Day in the USA?
45.What does the word “fortunately” mean in Chinese?
46Translate the sentence "They thank God for the good things that have happened during the year and for the good harvest they have had." into Chinese.
Reading for pleasure is the easiest way to become a better reader in English. It is also the most important way.
Some students say they don’t want to read for pleasure. They say they want to use their time to learn the rules of the language and new words. They say that pleasure reading is too easy.
Many experts (专家) say pleasure reading is very important for learning English. Dr. Stephen Krashen, a famous expert on learning languages, says that pleasure reading helps you learn many important things about English. Students learn more grammar and more words when they read for pleasure. They also learn more about good writing.
Dr. Krashen tells us that pleasure reading helps each student in a different way. Each student needs to learn something different. Pleasure reading makes it possible for each student to learn what he or she needs.
Reading for pleasure is not the same as studying. When you read for pleasure, you choose your own books, and you don’t have to remember everything. There are no tests on your pleasure reading books. Pleasure reading will help you:
●learn how English speakers use English
●read faster in English
●find examples of good writing in English
●learn new words
●learn about the cultures (文化) of English speakers
47. Is pleasure reading important for learning English?
48. Which is the easier way to become a better reader, pleasure reading or studying?
49. What do some students think of pleasure reading?
50.How can we become better readers?
51. What’s the greatest advantage (优点) of pleasure reading?
Have you ever heard of a girl of 15, who set up a company of her own? Wendy Wong is the girl. She started the business two years ago. She has already written several successful computer games. They are so popular that over half a million games are sold every year. Now all of her family work in her business, and she is still at school.
She gets up early in the morning, and then she talks with her family about the business over breakfast. Every day she goes to school in her own car with a driver, for she is not old enough.
She enjoys her school, but some of the work is too easy for her to feel interested. She usually gets ‘A’ grades in all her subjects, so the other students often ask her for help.
She finished her homework in half an hour after her driver takes her home. After dinner, she goes to her office and goes on working on her computer, writing games until 2 am. She does not usually need so much sleep as other children.
52. When did Wendy Wong start the business?
53. What has Wendy Wong already written successful?
54. How does Wendy Wong go to school every day?
55. How about her grades in all her subjects?
56. How long can she finish her homework?
If you are studying English, the Language Study Fair (游乐会)that is being held this month will certainly attract you. The fair is going on between the 28th and 30th of June at the National Education Centre. It is held to answer all your questions about self-study no matter how your English is.
The Language Study Fair gives a very good chance for you to see and to get all kinds of information to help you improve the way you study. Over 350 producers of educational materials (材料)will be at the fair. Come along to this, and you won’t waste your money in the future on materials that are out-of-date, or books that you just don’t need. We’ve got lots of different things for you to see and hear. There will be stands (展台)showing different kinds of self-study textbooks and talks by educational speakers on the best ways to study by yourself. We’re sure you’ll also enjoy watching people using the latest computer programs to make studying English alone so much easier. This is for you to make good decisions about what to buy. You can come to the fair from nine thirty to five. Tickets cost ￡5 each, or ￡3 if you’re a full-time student. All tickets can be booked by ringing the ticket hotline. The number is 9847711.
So, we hope to see you there!
57.Who will go to the Language Study Fair?
58.What will attract those who go to the Language Study Fair ?
59.What will you buy if you want to make studying English much easier?
60.What is the opening time of the fair ?
61. How can you get a ticket for the fair ?
1. Nearly all American students
2. ten thousand dollars a year
3. Yes, there are some
4. study in other cities / leave their homes to study / study away from their homes / don’t study near their homes
5. buy textbooks for their courses
6. when they finish their education
7. In the freezer.
8. They hope that they can come back to life one day.
9. They usually keep it in liquid nitrogen at a temperature of 328 degrees below zero.
10. Around 1.000 people.
11.He was planting a fig tree.
12. He was ninety years old.
13. No, he wasn’t. He was planting the tree for the people after him .
14. Yes, he did.
15. We should do some good things for the people after us.
16. They were treated very badly.
17. Do something too much.
18. No, he can’t.
19. None can do that.
20. A plan for ending the children’s relationship with their parents.
21. It’s just over 200 years old.
22. It’s not too cold during the winter and not too hot during the summer. It’s very good.
23. It’s 305 meters tall.
24. Sydney is famous for its deep harbor.
25. They love to go swimming and sailing.
通读全文, 故事讲述的是车站搬运工John Smith有一天在火车站同一名旅客间的一段对话，故事很幽默。
第一个问题是一个细节题，第1段清楚地说明了他的工作：John Smith was an old porter。porter的意思的“(车站、码头) 的搬运工人”，如果考生不认识这个词，也可以由He worked at the station. Every day he was busy carrying heavy things for the people.这两句话了解他的工作性质。因此第一个问题的回答：John’s job was to carry heavy things for the people at station. / He was a porter.
第二个问题是一个推理题，问题:这名旅客要去哪里。由文中这句旅客的问话Can I catch the 10:35 train to London?很容易推断出他要去伦敦。
第三个问题仍要求考生推理得出答案，问题：为什么此人看上去很急的样子朝火车赶去。很显然是因为他在赶火车。对why提问要用because进行回答，第三个问题的回答是Because he wanted to catch the 10:35 train to London.
第四个问题是推理题, 问的是：这名旅客赶到火车站的时间。由下文John的回答The 10:35 train to London left five minutes ago可知火车已开走，这名旅客赶到的时间是大约10: 40，因此第四题的回答是It was about10：40 (twenty to eleven) 。第五个问题是归纳题, 考查考生对文章大意的理解。这个问题的回答实际上就是全文的中心句, 在第一自然段里已做了介绍。He was careful with his work. He was kind to everyone and always ready to help others.
第一个问题是细节题，询问John过着怎样的一种生活。由文中的句子John decided to keep living a simple life like everyone else. 可知：他的生活简朴。因此第一题可填入simple life.
第二个问题是推理题，文章开头说His college friends were looking for their first jobs, but he didn’t have to. John decided to keep living a simple life like everyone else.说明他想和别人一样过普通人的生活。很容易对这个选择疑问句作出回答，注意对选择疑问句的回答方式，不要画蛇添足。第2句的回答： He wanted to look for a job.
第三个问题是细节题，根据John has helped 15 children from poor countries all over the world…可知这个一般疑问句的回答：是No. (He helps other children.) / No, he doesn’t.
第四个问题是细节题，这是个反意问句，由文中的The child does not receive the money in cash(现金) The money pays for the child’s school expenses, food, medical care and clothing.可知回答是No / No,he doesn’t.
第五个问题要求考生用短语或词填空，这是推理题，问：为什么John同小女孩的见面令他激动?题目中已给出了部分回答：Because he saw his money was well used and this made him_____________.短文 “When I met her, I felt very very happy,” he said, “I saw that the money was used for a very good plan. It brought me closer to the child in a way that giving money alone cannot” 可以判断空里应填feel happy / closer to the child.
第六个问题是归纳总结题，要求考生在理解全文的基础上，对主人公的人品进行归纳评价。最合适的回答是：a kind(generous) person。
1. Get in touch with other people.回答选择问句不能用Yes或No来回答，而是从选项中选择一项进行回答。本题答案由第1段前两句可知。
2. No. / I don’t think so. Because people may think he’s not interested in them. / Because he should look at people in the eye. / Because it’s impolite / not polite 可在第3段找到答案。
3. Be a good listener. / Let people talk about themselves before talking about “her, her, her.” / Listen to other people first 可根据第4段的内容来回答。
4. Be friendly with other (a lot of) people. / Try to make friends with the kind of people you really like, respect and admire—not just with those who are easy to meet. / Get out to meet other people.
5. How to make friends / To make friends / Make friends. / Making friends根据首尾段即可概括出。
1. No, it isn’t. 回答一般疑问句用Yes或No回答。
2. On December 4th, 1619. 细节题。见第3段第一句。
3. President Abraham Lincoln 细节题。见第4段最后一句。
4. 幸运地 词义猜测题。根据前后的转折关系可推测出。
1. Yes, it is. 由文章的第1段第2句可知。
2. Pleasure reading. 根据最后一段的内容可知。
3. It’s too easy. / It’s not useful / helpful / important. 根据第2段的内容回答。
4. Do pleasure reading. 由第1段第1句可知。
5. We can learn what we need.由第4段可知。
1. At the age of thirteen。所问的问题是“Wendy Wong什么时候开始做生意?” 根据Have you ever heard of a girl of 15, who set up a company of her own? Wendy Wong is the girl. She started the business two years ago(你曾经听说过一个15岁办了属于自己的公司的女孩吗? Wendy Wong就是这个办公司的女孩，她两年以前就开始做生意 )就能作出上述回答。
2. Computer games。所问的问题是“她成功地写出了什么?”根据 She has already written several successful computer games(她已经成功地写出了几部游戏程序)就能作出上述回答。
3. In her own car with a driver。所问的问题是“Wendy Wong每天怎样去上学?”根据Every day she goes to school in her own car with a driver, for she is not old enough(每天司机开着她自己的车送她去上学, 这是因为她年龄还小)就能作出上述回答。
4. She usually gets A grades。所问的问题是“Wendy Wong的学习怎么样?”根据She usually gets ‘A’ grades in all her subjects, so the other students often ask her for help. (在所有功课中，她通常都得优秀，因此，她的同学常常问她功课方面的问题)就能作出上述回答。
5. In half an hour。所问的问题是“她多长时间能做完作业?”根据She finished her homework in half an hour after her driver takes her home(在她的司机送她回家之后的半个小时内完成作业)就能作出上述回答。
1. School students / English learners / Lovers of English. 由句子“If you’re studying English, the Language Study Fair that’s being held this month will certainly attract you.”可以推知：不论是学生还是英语学习者和爱好者等都会前往。
2. All kinds of information on English learning / Educational materials / Different kinds of self-study textbooks / Talks on the best ways to study by yourself / The latest computer programs to make studying English alone so much easier.根据短文第二段的大部分内容介绍“语言学习游乐会”的主要内容，这些也是展示会上引人注目的内容。
3. Different kinds of self-study textbooks and the latest computer programs 根据短文内容推测自学课本和教学自学方法的电脑软件可以帮助学习英语的人自己自学英语，提高自学英语的效率。
4. From nine thirty to five between the 28th and 30th of June. 根据短文中的句子“The fair is going on between the 28th and 30th of June.”和句子 “You can come to the fair from nine thirty to five.”可知。
5. By ringing / Phone the ticket hotline / By calling 9847711.根据短文中的句子 “All the tickets can be booked by ringing the ticket hotline. The number is 9847711.”可以知道答案。